Bart & Homer Simpson - James Robison - Emile Zola - Bertrand Russell - Thomas Paine - The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie TV - Frank Zappa - James Joyce - Alan Ayckbourn - Waldemar Janusczak TV - Simon Schama TV - Ian Paisley - Art of Faith: Christianity TV - Spitting Image TV - Father Tom Doyle - Judgment Day: The John List Story 1993 - Cat on a Hot Tin Roof 1958 - The Outrage 1964 - In Debt We Trust TV - William Blake - Alain de Botton - The Mystery of Edwin Drood TV - The Blues Brothers 1980 - Seven Days to Noon 1950 - W C Preston - Benjamin Franklin - Robert Burns - Procopius - Rab C Nesbitt TV - William Shakespeare - Daniel Defoe - George Crabbe - Fred Dibnah TV - Doug McLeod - Alexander Pope - Jim Jones - George Carlin - St Cyprian - Emanuel Swedenborg - Lenny Bruce - John Betjeman - Church signs - John le Mesurier & Flint 1978 - St Thomas Aquinas - Rt Reverend John Shelby - Raoul Glabar - David Thoreau - John Steinbeck - Bart D Ehrman - Kurt Vonnegut - Mark Twain - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe - Ted Haggart - Martin Luther - Robert Ingersoll - Ken Dodd - Matthew 18:20 - I Corinthians 7:5 - I Corinthians 11:20-22 - Koran 5:82 - Book of Mormon Alma 1:19 - BoM Mormon 8:32&33 - Niall Ferguson TV - Il Conformista 1970 - Robert Heinlein - The History of Mr Polly by H G Wells 1949 - esias - Bill Cooper - Penn & Teller TV - Samuel Butler - Thomas Hardy - Author Unknown - Noel Gallagher - Trailer Park Boys 2001-2018 - Ozark 2017-2019 - DailyKos online - Hail, Satan? 2019 - Reggie Yates TV -
104. Suppose we’ve chosen the wrong God. Every time we go to church we’re just making him madder. (God & Church) Bart Simpson
105. Why should I spend half my Sunday hearing about how I’m going to Hell? (God & Church & Hell) Homer Simpson
122. I’m sick and tired of hearing about all of the radicals and the perverts and the liberals and the leftists and the communists coming out of the closet. It’s time for God’s people to come out of the closet, out of the churches and change America. (God & Liberal & Communist & Church & United States of America) James Robison, Christian televangelist, with Ronald Regan in attendance
416. Civilization will not attain to its perfection until the last stone from the last church falls on the last priest. (Religion & Civilisation & Perfection & Church & Priest) Emile Zola
418. You find as you look around the world that every single bit of human progress in humane feeling, every improvement in the criminal law, every step toward the diminution of war, every step toward better treatment of the colored races, or every mitigation of slavery, every moral progress that there has been in the world, has been consistently opposed by the organized churches of the world. I say deliberately that the Christian religion, as organized in its churches, has been and still is the principal enemy of moral progress in the world. (Religion & Christian & Church & Morality) Bertrand Russell, Why I am Not a Christian pp 20-21
465. I do not believe in the creed professed by the Jewish Church, by the Roman Church, by the Greek Church, by the Turkish Church, by the Protestant Church, nor by any Church that I know of. My own mind is my own Church. (Religion & Church) Thomas Paine, The Age of Reason
50,086. All national institutions of Churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish appear to me no other than human inventions set up to terrify and enslave mankind and monopolise power and profit. (Church & Religion) Thomas Paine
6,916. Surely, Miss Gaunt, church service is a form of theatre. (Teacher & Church) The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie II starring Geraldine McEwan & Amanda Kirby & Lynsey Baxter & Vivienne Ross et al
8,960. My best advice to anyone who wants to raise a happy, mentally healthy child is: Keep him or her as far away from a church as you can. (Children & Church & Religion) Frank Zappa
9,125. There is no heresy or no philosophy which is so abhorrent to the church as a human being. (Philosophy & Church & Religion & Human Being) James Joyce
9,456. I’ve just been to church. Pay my respects. You know. I like to go once a year, that’s all. Just in case. Keep the options open, eh. (Christmas & Church) Alan Ayckbourn, Season’s Greetings premiered 1980; BBC production 1986 starring Michael Cashman & Barbara Flynn & Nicky Henson & Anna Massey & Geoffrey Palmer & Peter Vaughan et al, director Michael A Simpson, Harvey to Clive
10,111. The first churches were ordinary houses. (Art & Dark Ages & Christianity & Church) Waldemar Januszczak, The Dark Ages: An Age of Light I: The Clash of the Gods, BBC 2012
10,368. Art would succeed where the Church had failed. (Art & Church & Religion) Simon Schama’s Power of Art: Van Gogh
30,360. Pugin: a new generation of churches would be in the frontline in the war to save Victorian souls. (Great Britain & England & Architecture & Church) Simon Schama, A History of Britain: Victoria and Her Sisters
12,823. I believe that Christianity’s basis is a personal relationship to Jesus Christ, rather than relationship to churches. (Christianity & Jesus & Church) Dr Ian Paisley
12,847. Christian places for faith and devotion have been created in every conceivable size and shape. (Christianity & Church) Art of Faith: Christianity, Sky Arts 2012
12,853. St Mary Redcliffe Bristol: in the west of England the medieval merchants of Bristol used their wealth to build a great and glorious church. (Christianity & Church) ibid.
12,854. For Roman Catholics the very best church in Christendom in St Peter’s Basilica in Vatican City. (Christianity & Church) ibid.
12,857. Chapel of Our Lady of the Rosary de Vence: Matisse designed the ceramic walls and floor, the stained glass, the murals, the furnishings and even the robes for the priests. (Christianity & Church & Art: Matisse) ibid.
12,858. Chapel of St Ignatius, Seattle [Jesuit]: designer Stephen Holl. (Christianity & Church) ibid.
12,903. The way to get people back to the Church is to tell them they’re going to burn in Hell for eternity if they use contraceptives. (Catholicism & Church & Hell & Contraception) Spitting Image s1e1, Pope
13,074. The only time Christ ever got angry is when he went to Church. (Catholicism & Church) Father Tom Doyle
15,170. You use the church like a shield against this imaginary evil. (Murder & Church) Judgment Day: The John List Story 1993 starring Robert Blake & Beverly D’Angelo & David Caruso & Melinda Dillon & Alice Krige & David Purdham et al, director Bobby Roth
15,171. They were God's children. So I sent them to heaven. (Murder & Church) ibid. John
23,165. Church? It bores me. (South & Church) Cat on a Hot Tin Roof 1958 starring Paul Newman & Elizabeth Taylor & Burl Ives & Judith Anderson & Jack Carson & Madeleine Sherwood & Larry Gates & Vaughn Taylor, director Richard Brooks, Big Daddy
23,426. But you leaving the church – your place here, the people who need ya, that don’t make no sense either. (Western & Church) The Outrage 1964 starring Paul Newman & Laurence Harvey & Claire Bloom & Edward G Robinson & William Shatner et al, director Martin Ritt, bloke to preacher
23,429. Hmn-humn-hummn nothing much left to preach about, eh Reverend? (Western & Church) ibid. Robinson
42,621. A church in Norfolk, Virginia holds debt revivals – individuals with large debts are selected – and then donations from parishioners pay off those debts. The church members then destroy their credit cards. (Debt & Church & Credit Card) Danny Schechter PSTV.tv In Debt We Trust ***** Altacliff film, Globalvision Production
42,966. Dear Mother, dear Mother, the Church is cold,
But the Ale-house is healthy & pleasant & warm;
Besides I can tell where I am used well,
Such usage in heaven will never do well.
But if at the Church they would give us some Ale,
And a pleasant fire our souls to regale,
We'd sing and we'd pray all the live-long day,
Nor ever once wish from the Church to stray.
Then the Parson might preach, & drink, & sing,
And we'd be as happy as birds in the spring;
And modest dame Lurch, who is always at Church,
Would not have bandy children, nor fasting, nor birds.