★ Mormons & Latter-Day Saints (V): Plagiarisms, Oddisms & Anachronisms
Mormons & Latter-Day Saints (V): Plagiarisms, Oddisms & Anachronisms (Book of Mormon references): see Mormons & Latter-Day Saints (I) & (II) etc. & Cults & Cults: COJCOLDS etc. & Religion & God & Bible & New Testament & Old Testament & Jesus Christ & United States of America & Missionary & West & Utah & Salt Lake City
- I Nephi 1:1 I, Nephi, having been born of goodly parents, therefore I was taught somewhat in all the learning of my father; and having seen many afflictions in the course of my days, nevertheless, having been highly favored of the Lord in all my days; yea, having had a great knowledge of the goodness and the mysteries of God, therefore I make a record of my proceedings in my days.
viz I Corinthians 4:1 – The mysteries of God
Why does Nephi feel the need to boast of goodly parents? How does Nephi know he is highly favoured of the Lord? Who instructed Nephi in the mysteries of God? ‘Therefore I make a record of my proceedings in my days’ is circumlocution and a waste of gold plate
- I Nephi 1:9 And it came to pass that he saw One descending out of the midst of heaven, and he beheld that his luster was above that of the sun at noon-day.
cf. versions of Joseph’s first vision
- I Nephi 1:14 And it came to pass that when my father had read and seen many great and marvelous things, he did exclaim many things unto the Lord; such as: Great and marvelous are thy works, O Lord God Almighty! Thy throne is high in the heavens, and thy power, and goodness, and mercy are over all the inhabitants of the earth, and, because thou art merciful, thou wilt not suffer those who come unto thee that they shall perish!
viz Revelation 15:3 – Great and Marvelous are thy works, Lord God Almighty
- I Nephi 2:16 And it came to pass that I, Nephi, being exceedingly young, nevertheless being large in stature, and also having great desires to know of the mysteries of God, wherefore, I did cry unto the Lord; and behold he did visit me, and did soften my heart that I did believe all the words which had been spoken by my father; wherefore, I did not rebel against him like unto my brothers.
viz I Corinthians 4:1 – the mysteries of God
- I Nephi 2:18 But, behold, Laman and Lemuel would not hearken unto my words; and being grieved because of the hardness of their hearts I cried unto the Lord for them.
viz Mark 3:5
- I Nephi 2:24 And if it so be that they rebel against me, they shall be a scourge unto thy seed, to stir them up in the ways of remembrance.
viz 2 Peter 1:13
A fascist intergalactic empire-building God does away with free agency and can’t resist a good cussin’!
- I Nephi 3:2 And it came to pass that he spake unto me, saying: Behold I have dreamed a dream, in the which the Lord hath commanded me that thou and thy brethren shall return to Jerusalem.
viz Judges 7:13 – Behold I have dreamed a dream
How does Lehi know he has not been deceived in the dream, or that the dream is self-induced?
- I Nephi 3:20 And also that we may preserve unto them the words which have been spoken by the mouth of all the holy prophets, which have been delivered unto them by the Spirit and power of God, since the world began, even down unto this present time.
viz Acts 3:21
- I Nephi 4:13 Behold the Lord slayeth the wicked to bring forth his righteous purposes. It is better that one man should perish than that a nation should dwindle and perish in unbelief.
viz John 11:50 – It is expedient for us, that one man should die for the people, and that the whole nation perish not.
God’s first advice to Nephi is to detach the dude’s head, and raid the dude’s pad for gold loot. God does a nice line in murder for ‘righteous purposes’. Is God a scrap-metal merchant with a penchant for murder?
- I Nephi 5:8 And she spake, saying: Now I know of a surety that the Lord hath commanded my husband to flee into the wilderness; yea, and I also know of a surety that the Lord hath protected my sons, and delivered them out of the hands of Laban, and given them power whereby they could accomplish the thing which the Lord hath commanded them. And after this manner of language did she speak.
viz Acts 12:11
So much for healthy scepticism!
- I Nephi 5:18 That these plates of brass should go forth unto all nations, kindreds, tongues, and people who were of his seed.
viz Revelation 14:6 – every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people
- I Nephi 6:5 Wherefore, the things which are pleasing unto the world I do not write, but the things which are pleasing unto God and unto those who are not of the world.
viz John 17:14 – they are not of the world
How does Nephi know what is ‘pleasing unto God’?
- I Nephi 7:8 And now I, Nephi, being grieved for the hardness of their hearts, therefore I spake unto them, saying, yea, even unto Laman and unto Lemuel: Behold ye are mine elder brethren, and how is it that ye are so hard in your hearts, and so blind in your minds, that ye have need that I, your younger brother, should speak unto you, yea, and set an example for you?
viz Mark 3:5
- I Nephi 10:8 Yea, even he should go forth and cry in the wilderness: Prepare ye the way of the Lord, and make his paths straight; for there standeth one among you whom ye know not; and he is mightier than I, whose shoe’s latchet I am not worthy to unloose. And much spake my father concerning this thing.
viz John 1:23 & Luke 3:16: Joe, buy your own shoelaces!
- I Nephi 10:9 And my father said he should baptize in Bethabara, beyond Jordan; and he also said he should baptize with water; even that he should baptize the Messiah with water.
viz John 1:28
- I Nephi 10:10 And after he had baptized the Messiah with water, he should behold and bear record that he had baptized the Lamb of God, who should take away the sins of the world
viz John 1:29 – Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.
- I Nephi 10:18 For he is the same yesterday, to-day, and forever; and the way is prepared for all men from the foundation of the world, if it so be that they repent and come unto him
viz Hebrew 13:8 & Matthew 25:34
- I Nephi 11:7 And behold this thing shall be given unto thee for a sign, that after thou hast beheld the tree which bore the fruit which thy father tasted, thou shalt also behold a man descending out of heaven, and him shall ye witness; and after ye have witnessed him ye shall bear record that it is the Son of God.
viz John 1:34
- I Nephi 11:22 And I answered him, saying: Yea, it is the love of God, which sheddeth itself abroad in the hearts of the children of men; wherefore, it is the most desirable above all things.
viz Romans 5:5
- I Nephi 11:35 And the multitude of the earth was gathered together; and I beheld that they were in a large and spacious building, like unto the building which my father saw. And the angel of the Lord spake unto me again, saying: Behold the world and the wisdom thereof; yea, behold the house of Israel hath gathered together to fight against the twelve apostles of the Lamb.
viz Revelations 21:14
The Mormon God just loves an metaphor!
- I Nephi 11:36 And it came to pass that I saw and bear record, that the great and spacious building was the pride of the world; and it fell, and the fall thereof was exceedingly great. And the angel of the Lord spake unto me again, saying: Thus shall be the destruction of all nations, kindreds, tongues, and people, that shall fight against the twelve apostles of the Lamb
viz Revelation 14:6
- I Nephi 12:2 And it came to pass that I beheld multitudes gathered together to battle, one against the other; and I beheld wars, and rumors of wars, and great slaughters with the sword among my people.
viz Matthew 24:6
How does one behold rumours of wars?