Monty Python 1983 & Monty Python's Flying Circus TV - John F Kennedy - Niall Ferguson TV - Tony Blair - George Carlin - Mandy Moore - Richard Bilton TV - Emo Philips - Richard Dawkins TV - Ray Bradbury - BBC Horizon - William Shakespeare - Ralph Waldo Emerson - Woody Allen - Mark Twain - Adam Curtis TV - John McCain - In God We Teach 2011 - Samuel Johnson - Hector Hugh Munro - Beatrix Potter - Thomas Gray - Thomas Hughes - Fred Dibnah - John Mortimer - Winston Churchill - Charles Dickens - Henry Fielding - Lady Jane Grey - David Bellamy - Eliza Cook - Penn & Teller TV - Robert Muller - Brian Gerrish - Anthony Crosland - The Grammar School: A Secret History TV - Neil Gaiman - Albert Einstein - Harold Howe - Lemony Snicket - Jean Piaget - Bell Hooks - Terry Pratchett - Fyodor Dostoyevsky - William Blake - Libba Bray - Al Gore - Charles M Schulz - H L Mencken - John Holt - Lenny Bruce - J D Salinger - George Bernard Shaw - Thomas More - Ronald Reagan - Kurt Vonnegut - Franklin D Roosevelt - Marilyn Manson - Denzel Washington - Emo Philips - Eminem - John Updike - Jonathan Kozol - Noel Gallagher - Dolly Parton - The Belles of St Trinians 1954 - The Pure Hell of St Trinians 1960 - Carl Sagan - Robert Winston - Neville Bennett - Ian Hislop - Stanley Kubric - Massacre at Columbine High TV - Ray Donovan TV - The Sopranos TV - The Great St Trinian's Train Robbery 1966 - Under Cover 1987 - Rocky Graziano - Dave Allen - Mary Beard TV - Dispatches TV - John James Audubon - Tonight TV - Aravind Adiga - Charlotte Bronte - James Joyce - Carry on Teacher 1962 - Robert Tressell - Steven D Levitt & Stephen J Dubner - Junot Diaz - John Lydon - Tom Sharpe - Panorama TV - High School 1968 - Christopher Hitchens - Crimes that Shook Britain TV - Exposure TV - School TV - Field of Vision: Adversary 2018 - Breaking Bad 2008-2013 - Trailer Park Boys 2001-2018 -
44. School Chaplain: Oh Lord. Ooh you are so big. So absolutely huge. Gosh we’re all really impressed down here I can tell you. Forgive us, O Lord, for this our dreadful toadying. But you’re so strong and well just so super. Amen. (God & Prayer & School) Monty Python’s The Meaning of Life 1983
45. Chaplain [sings]: Oh Lord please don’t burn us. Don’t grill or toast your flock. Don’t put us on the barbecue. Or simmer us in stock. Don’t braise or bake or boil us. Or stir-fry us in a wok. Oh please don't lightly poach us. Or baste us with hot fat. Don't fricassee or roast us. Or boil us in a vat. And please don't stick thy servants, Lord, in a Rotissomat. (God & School & Hymn & God's Fascism) ibid.
103,567. Knock, enter and approach. Right, it’s come to my notice that certain boys have been running a unit-trust limited assurance scheme. Monty Python’s Flying Circus s3e2: Mr & Mrs Brian Norris’ Ford Popular, headmaster to boys
457. I believe in an America that is officially neither Catholic, Protestant nor Jewish – where no public official either requests or accepts instructions on public policy from the Pope, the National Council of Churches or any other ecclesiastical source – where no religious body seeks to impose its will directly or indirectly upon the general populace or the public acts of its officials – and where religious liberty is so indivisible that an act against one church is treated as an act against all ... I believe in an America where religious intolerance will someday end – where all men and all churches are treated as equal – where every man has the same right to attend or not attend the church of his choice ... I believe in a President whose religious views are his own private affair, neither imposed by him upon the nation or imposed by the nation upon him as a condition to holding that office ... I am wholly opposed to the state being used by any religious group, Catholic or Protestant, to compel, prohibit, or persecute the free exercise of any other religion. (Kennedy & Religion & Pluralism & School & United States of America) John F Kennedy, September 1960
7,008. We have to in the next eight years build as many school buildings as we have built in our entire history. John F Kennedy
691. In Ottoman schools science yielded to narrowly religious study. (Religion & Science & Ottoman & School & Muslim & Civilisation & Turkey) Niall Ferguson: Civilisation: Is the West History? II Science 2011
985. We have established Face to Faith, an inter-faith schools programme to counter intolerance and extremism. (Faith & School & Foundation) Tony Blair Faith Foundation, cited Professor Richard Dawkins
7,028. Once you leave out all the bullshit they teach you in school, life gets really simple. (School & Bullshit) George Carlin, Brain Droppings
7,035. Because we were a poor area, the school had a small budget and was unable to teach the second half of the alphabet. ibid.
2,355. It turned out I was pretty good in science. But again, because of the small budget, in science class we couldn't afford to do experiments in order to prove theories. We just believed everything. Actually, I think that class was called Religion. Religion class was always an easy class. All you had to do was suspend the logic and reasoning you were being taught in all the other classes. (Logic & Reason & Science & School & Belief & Religion) ibid.
76,004. It feels important to go school; not necessarily to further my education, but more like a hobby. (Hobby & School) Mandy Moore
5,266. For every eleven-year-old that got into Grammar School three others were rejected. (Job & School) Richard Bilton, Who Gets the Best Jobs? BBC 2011
75,314. In our school you were searched for guns and knives on the way in and if you didn’t have any, they gave you some. (Gun & Knife & School) Emo Philips
5,692. Evolution is a fact. It’s documented by science to the same degree Napoleon is by history. Some things are true. They are not a matter of choice or opinion, but you’d never guess that in the place where this matters more than anywhere – in our schools, where the teaching of evolution has become a hugely sensitive issue for science teachers. (Evolution & Schools) Professor Richard Dawkins, The Genius of Charles Darwin III
5,701. Evolution should be one of the first things you learn at school ... and what do they get instead? Sacred hearts and incense. Shallow, empty religion. (Evolution & School) Professor Richard Dawkins, interview Sunday Telegraph 26th September 1999
7,011. There is something exceedingly odd about the idea of sectarian religious schools. If we hadn’t got used to it over the centuries, we’d find it downright bizarre. Sectarian education has proved to be deeply damaging. It has left a terrible legacy. (School & Education) Professor Richard Dawkins, The Root of All Evil? The Virus of Faith
7,012. And yet it’s a strange anomaly that faith schools are increasing in number and influence in our education system. With active encouragement from Tony Blair’s government. There are already seven-thousand faith schools in Britain. But the government’s trust reforms are encouraging many more. Over half the new City Academies are expected to be sponsored by religious organisations. The most development is a new wave of private evangelical schools. (School & Education) ibid.
7,051. I didn’t have a very starry school career. I was medium to above average, nothing special. Richard Dawkins
7,056. The enlightenment is under threat. So is reason. So is truth. So is science, especially in the schools of America. Richard Dawkins
107,342. Education has become of the most fiercely debated political battle-grounds. Billions of pounds of our money are poured into schools every year. But there is an aspect of education that is rarely questioned - a slow creeping change in the make-up of our schools: one third are now faith schools. (School & Education) Richard Dawkins, Faith School Menace, More4 2010
107,343. We taxpayers fund the running of these schools. (School & Education) ibid.
107,344. It [Blair’s government] should have abolished the faith component altogether. (School & Education) ibid.
107,345. The other option of course is to fake a faith … It’s about the social level of pupils and the pushiness of parents prepared to jump through hoops to get their children selected. (School & Education) ibid.
107,346. But that very sense of identity tends to set them apart from others. (School & Education) ibid.
6,145. ‘Why aren’t you in school? I see you every day wandering around.’
‘Oh, they don’t miss me,’ she said. ‘I’m antisocial, they say. I don’t mix. It’s so strange. I’m very social indeed. It all depends on what you mean by social, doesn’t it? Social to me means talking to you about things like this.’ She rattled some chestnuts that had fallen off the tree in the front yard. ‘Or talking about how strange the world is. Being with people is nice. But I don’t think it’s social to get a bunch of people together and then not let them talk, do you? An hour of TV class, an hour of basketball or baseball or running, another hour of transcription history or painting pictures, and more sports, but do you know, we never ask questions, or at least most don’t; they just run the answers at you, bing, bing, bing, and us sitting there for four more hours of film-teacher. That’s not social to me at all. It’s a lot of funnels and lot of water poured down the spout and out the bottom, and them telling us it’s wine when it’s not. They run us so ragged by the end of the day we can't do anything but go to bed or head for a Fun Park to bully people around ... I guess I’m everything they say I am, all right. I haven’t any friends. That’s supposed to prove I’m abnormal.’ (Society & School & Normal & Conformity & Control & People) Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451
6,664. The power of Gardner’s theory of multiple intelligences comes from its growing influence in schools. (Intelligence & School) Horizon: Battle of the Brains, BBC 2007
12,824. Every year thousands of children are subjected to the ultimate experiment. We send them to school. But how does education shape our children? (Education & School) Horizon: Who Do You Want Your Child to Be? BBC 2009
12,825. Why do some people struggle no matter what? And what is a successful education? (Education & School) ibid.